Saturday September 13, 2014
Sounds disgusting, right?
So Kale Juice is basically the newest addition to my enthusiastic but short lived diet kicks, (when I say diet kick it just means I add something vaguely healthy to my diet of chocolate and tea).
I, like I’m sure many of you have, can’t get away from seeing this on tumblr, Instagram and other blogs. So I, ever the sheep, decided to follow the trend and make my own. I couldn’t commit to the kale, celery and ginger version just yet so, instead, I played it safe with “Kale Orange Juice”.
The “recipe” is simple. All you need is: 6 kale leaves 3 peeled oranges
Or more precisely:4 ounces of chopped kale 12 ounces juice
Throw them into a juicer until they’re liquidised, stir, serve and enjoy!
I am not an experienced organic juice junkie, apart from having an addiction to carrot juice, so I’m not claiming to have an expert view on this but, from my humble opinion, it tastes pretty good! So go ahead and try this recipe for yourself and let me know how it goes by messaging me here, we can talk about spinach and stuff!
Share this post:
Heya Eddie readers!
So, over the past year or so I’ve really tried to cut back on chemical products and using processed things on my face, in a final attempt to calm down my skin. I was pretty doubtful at first, but my skin almost COMPLETELY cleared up and I am so happy. Here are some of my personal faves for natural skin remedies: (most of these things you should be able to find in your own home!)
- HONEY. Honey is number 1 on this list for a reason. It is antibacterial and so SO good for your skin. It is GREAT for clearing up acne, or just as a regular cleanser. Every second night, after you shower (the steam from the shower will open your pores) plaster (organic) honey all over your face and leave it for at least half an hour. Then, wash off with warm water. Note: This method will really help your skin, but takes around a month to make a difference. After the first week or two, you may notice that your skin has become worse - but don’t worry, this is only the honey drawing out the bad toxins + bacteria deep in your skin. (Add some lemon juice to your honey facial once a week if you have particularly oily skin.)
- SALT/SUGAR SCRUB. Mix rock salt + a few drops of any essential oil, and then rub a lllll over your body (not your face - scrubbing your face will only irritate the skin there) with a loofah for smooth and refreshed skin. Alternatively, see here on how to make a basic sugar scrub.
- ALOE VERA. This is great for spot treatment of pimples, as it reduces inflammation + redness, but is ESPECIALLY great for sunburn. Go down to your local chemist and buy a tube of aloe vera gel - or better yet, just get an aloe plant, snap off a leaf + use the sap straight onto your skin!
- HERBAL TEA. Now, if the previous two didn’t seem a little strange, then this one will definitely. However, tea is absolutely great for reducing the redness of pimples. Peppermint tea or chamomile tea are the best. Just brew some tea, and then after you are done, drink your tea while you hold the teabag against the nasty lil spot.
- LEMON JUICE. Now, lemon juice is a fantastic spot treatment but be very cautious when you use it as it is EXTREMELY drying. After you use it, moisturise moisturise moisturise. Would not recommend if you have dry skin at all.
- ICE. Okay, so it’s photo day. You’re about to leave for school, before you realise that there is a MASSIVE RED ZIT right on the tip of your nose!!! BUT don’t worry, simply grab 1 ice cube out of the freezer and hold it against the spot. The ice will reduce inflammation by cooling the area down and constricting capillaries, meaning that your pimple will be much much smaller and much less red :o)
- AVOCADO AND BANANA. Not together, of course. You could try it though, if you’re feeling particularly daring. Both of these are very good for your skin. Avocado has lots of good oils in them, which will replace the bad ones on your skin. The potassium in banana is a natural hydrater and moisturiser.
- TEA TREE OIL. This should be your go-to instant treatment for pimples. No more has to be said.
- EXERCISE. You know how whenever you exercise a lot, you tend to get a red face? Well, this is because there is an increased amount of blood flow to your skin. So, if theres more blood flowing around your face, that means that bad toxins are being carried away! Even just a walk early in the morning will do wonders for your skin.
- AND FINALLY… WATER. Carry a water bottle around with you, especially at school. This will flush your skin (everything else too) and is possibly the most underrated skin remedy.
So, there you have it. I’ve tried all these things, and for me, they all work. However, everybody’s skin is different, so you’ll just have to find out what works for you. There is also a lot more science and biology behind what goes on with these natural lil treatments, but I didn’t want to bore you all so if you want to find out the specifics, head on over to google.
- Love Millie
Share this post:
ROAD TRIP PLAYLIST
This is a playlist compiled for those road trips with your lover, best friend or family. Or even just for those drives where you have no real destination and you like it that way. It can be background noise to the memories that you want to create or it can be words that fill the comfortable silence while you drive along the roads.
01.preacher - onerepbulic // 02.atlas hands - benjamin francis leftwich // 03.chasing pavements - adele // 04. big jet plane - angus & julia stone // 05.charlie brown - coldplay // 06.fall back down (cover) - lights // 07.good life - onerepublic // 08.graceless - the national // 09.stay (bootleg remix) - branchez // 10.it’s too late (ride on) - evermore // 11.just one day - mighty oaks // 12.lanterns - birds of tokyo // 13.put your records on - corinne bailey rae // 14.say you’ll be there (cover) - mø // 15.she walks away - the icarus account // 16.until we bleed - kleerup feat. lykke li // 17.young - mike dignam //
- Nat xx
(photo is not mine)
Share this post:
WHEN TO WALK AWAY
So you’re really into this guy and sometimes it seems like he feels the same way about you. But then after a few weeks of flirting and what not, you start to notice a pattern. On some days, when you’re talking or hanging out, he makes it seem like he’d rather be doing anything else than talking to you — like say, taking a hundred-item calculus test. On other days, he’ be really sweet and he’d compliment you, making you feel like the only girl in the world (yes, I just made a Rihanna reference). And right after you’re captivated by his eyes and the feeling of his toothpaste-commercial-fresh breath on your skin when he leans in close to whisper sweet nothings in your ear, he goes ahead and says something to ruin everything. It could be him asking you for money or for homework help. Maybe he’s asking for a ride home even if it’s out of the way, or maybe even asking you to help him with his sexual needs. Normally, you’d be really angry with him and you’ll want to yell ‘what the hell is your problem??’ but because you’re so blinded by his non-existent charm and ‘wonderful’ personality for some reason, you blame yourself. You start to hate yourself and try to figure out what it is that is so wrong with you. Let me answer that for you; nothing. Nothing is wrong with you.
You need to get out while you still can. He’s not worth it. You see, this kind of thing never gets better. You keep hoping that maybe he’ll change or that this is his sick way of showing his affection towards you. This will only lead to an abusive relationship. This applies to friendships too.
I’ve been through this, trust me. It never got better and it only ever resulted to an endless number of nights, crying and feeling like shit. It only made him think he had a hold on me. The thing is, I knew that every time, he’d hurt me but I never listened to myself. So many times, I kept running back to him and allowing him to put me down and make me feel small. It took so long for me to finally understand that it was never going to get better, but when I finally did, it was amazing. I never felt stronger or more in charge of my happiness than I did then.
Remember that you’re in charge of your life and your own happiness and if you’re in a relationship wherein most of the time, the other person is making you feel inadequate and as if you’re ‘not enough,’ get the hell out, as fast as you can. Don’t be acquiescent and go speak up for yourself, for once!
- Kyra (tyrades.tumblr.com)
Share this post:
Monday July 28, 2014
I saw this and it really cheered me up so I thought this would be a great place for more people to see it!
More from me here localrogues
Have a great day!
Share this post:
A Handy Little List of Things to Put You at Ease
We all know life can get pretty hectic sometimes, so I’ve compiled a list of things to help you tone down the stress factor for a while, kick back and relaaxxxx…
- Take a bath. It will relax your muscles, warm you up, and with a touch of a bath bomb you will be left smelling a treat!
- Listen to your favourite chill-tunes. Having a playlist on your ipod/phone/etc full of soothing, mellow songs can really help to bump up your mood (Chet Faker is my personal favourite).
- Read! Take a few minutes to read a couple of chapters on your current book or the latest yen/frankie/cleo/dolly/whatever magazine, it can help you to escape reality for a while and inspire happy thoughts.
- Play with your pets. Most pets love a bit of TLC and you can benefit from it too! Go and have a lil chat and play a bit of fetch, it will do you both some good!
- Draw. Whipping up some quick little doodles to express your feelings (even if you think they’re rubbish) can really help you to relax and lift a weight from your shoulders. Plus it’s cute!
- Exercise. Going for a run or doing a few quick sit ups can make a world of difference. As a natural release of endorphins, exercising is a world-wide recommended stress-buster. Sweat it out, baby!
- Organise your room/workspace. Having a clear environment can help to clear your mind! Tidy up that mess that’s been accumulating under the bed for a while, glue in those loose worksheets in your school books, and give yourself a super clear workspace, only keep the essentials!
- Turn off your phone. Ignore those notifications! Block out the virtual world for a little while, it won’t kill you, I promise!
- Redecorate your room. Looking at something different and feeling like something has started fresh can often make you relax and feel more motivated to make further changes in your life.
That’s about all I’ve got for now! If you’re reading this and you have any ideas of your own, comment them when you reblog and pass on your fabulous tips and tricks!
Love, Gem x
Share this post:
How To Get More Out of Your Holidays/Vacation
I have plenty of friends who while on their overseas or even domestic holidays prefer to lounge around the pool or just lie in the sun. But I am the opposite, I like to fully immerse myself into my destination. I don’t like to waste any time because I only have a limited amount of time there.
Being an avid traveller and current University student studying Tourism, I wanted to give you some tips on how to get more from your travels.
- Don’t just take taxis - in New York, almost 5.5 million people take the subway daily and you can see a lot more life down there than you possibly could on the streets. Step out of your comfort zone and take the unknown local public transport system.
- Try the local cuisine - in Asia, night markets line many major streets and can provide you with possibly the best meal you’ve ever had for the cheapest price you’ve ever paid. I received the largest bowl of noodles I had ever seen for only $4 Australian Dollars.
- Don’t always have a set plan for the day - sometimes just wondering around aimlessly can lead you to find a small gallery filled with beautifully painted artworks or a boutique filled with silk clothing sewn by hand right in front of you.
- Always take some paper and a pen with you everywhere - you will never know when you will need to write down a phone number or you have a spontaneous urge to sit in the middle of a small European town and sketch some of its’ architecture.
- If your destination has some form of a city skyline, try to witness the sunrise at least once - there is something about sunrises (to me) that just makes everything really hit home and makes me really appreciate everything that I have. I still haven’t forgotten witnessing the sunrise over the LA skyline.
Happy and safe travels!!
- Nat xx
Share this post:
My Thoughts on Buddhism
Buddhism is essentially based around reaching enlightenment (true happiness), which I find really lovely. It doesn’t matter how long it takes you to reach it, so long as you do. Which is pretty encouraging, I think. I like how, instead of focusing on doing good in this life so you can have good things in your next life, like Christianity, Buddhism concentrates on doing good things in THIS life to be HAPPY in this life. It is all about living in the moment and not dwelling on future imaginings, or things that happened in the past.
I’ve been focusing on this quite a bit recently because I spend a lot of my time inventing scenarios that will never happen, instead of appreciating what is around me. I also find it quite appealing because Buddha was a legitimate guy. He wasn’t perfect, or godly; he was relatable and fat. And what’s more, he didn’t set rules that had to be obeyed, but rather had guidelines that could help you to find true happiness, which you, as an individual, could choose to follow or not. As a final musing on Buddhism, I’m going to talk about one of the principle beliefs, which is that ‘all suffering is caused by greed’. This is also something I’ve been thinking about a lot. It relates to almost every situation you can think of. There are people suffering in Africa because of lack of food and lack of money in their government, whilst there is an obesity problem in almost every developed country, and governments are pumping millions of dollars into infrastructure upgrades and placing spikes where homeless people sleep. You feel sad, and so suffer, because you do not have enough money to buy that skirt that you really want. We, as a human race, have a desire to survive and not die out as a species, so out of greed to populate, we have sex and make new life, which comes into the world and suffers. So, life is suffering. You can’t have one without the other. Greed is a natural thing; on one hand, without it you would not have suffering, but on the other, without it you would not have life.
p.s. If you wanna hear more about different beliefs this might become like a religion/belief-a-week/month thing and I could talk about abstract beliefs or common ones so message us what you would like to hear, or if you personally have a religion that you’d like me to talk about bc I love finding out about them :)
Share this post:
me digging your grave
My first time on Tumblr, and this was the first gif. As soon as I saw it I knew I was already in to deep.
i can’t breathe
Was going to write an article on laughing and how it is good for you but just watch this instead.
Share this post:
Anonymous asked: It's clear you care about animals and it's great that you are considering veganism! Having a clear conscience about your food is so important. You should watch Forks Over Knives which is about the health and if you are prepared for the somewhat graphic truth then Earthlings is a hard but good one to watch. Much love xx
(I rarely answer asks but am making an exception)
Hi there, yes many of the writers at EDDIE are aware of and care about animal rights. You can actually see a review of the documentary earthlings (written by me) here, and we would lke to urge our readers to watch it here.
I haven’t personally watched Forks over Knives, but it sounds very useful and to any readers considering veganism, you can watch it here.
Thankyou lovely reader
*edit by Millie who wrote the animal article*
Thank you, I’m really glad you understand haha :) I don’t have a very good stomach for graphic things but I will definitely try to watch Forks over Knives. I’m slowly convincing my family to only buy RSPCA-approved eggs and little things like that. I’m also happy because there are a lot of adds around where I live at the moment advertising cruelty-free food choices, like the “that’s no way to treat a lady” anti-cage-egg campaign. It’s great that awareness is being raised on the treatment of the animals that most of the population consumes, you know? I think that if you are going to eat that animal, it’s giving you like nutrition and stuff so the absolute least you can do is be thankful and respectful, and make sure that it has led a nice life before-hand. Which also links into the Buddhism article that just got published so go read that and maybe do some further reading on Buddhism because they also believe in respecting the animals around you and not harming other creatures :) xoox
Share this post:
So. It’s something you all know about. Something you are all undoubtedly aware of. Something a lot of people turn a blind eye towards because they would rather not think about it.
Cosmetic animal testing.
So… Explain it? What is it and why does it happen?
Cosmetic Animal Testing is the use of animals in research and development projects to test the safety of chemicals and other substances used in cosmetics, ie. your makeup. Cosmetic animal tests are not backed by law, so it is by choice of the company to distribute often toxic levels of chemicals to rats, mice, dogs, cats, and monkeys. Every year in the U.S alone, upwards of 19.5 million domestic animals, including primates, are killed in laboratories for the sake of our cosmetic ‘safety’. Yet even though it’s been proven that often these cosmetic tests are completely irrelevant to humans in up to 70% of cases, they still occur and have not slowed since awareness has been increased. Most animals are killed at the end of an experiment, but some may be re-used in subsequent experiments. Here is a selection of common animal procedures:
- Forced chemical exposure in toxicity testing, which can include oral force-feeding, forced inhalation, skin or injection into the abdomen, muscle, etc.
- Exposure to drugs, chemicals or infectious disease at levels that cause illness, pain and distress, or death
- Genetic manipulation, e.g., addition or “knocking out” of one or more genes
- Prolonged periods of physical restraint
- Food and water deprivation
- Surgical procedures followed by recovery
- Infliction of wounds, burns and other injuries to study healing
- Infliction of pain to study its physiology and treatment
- Behavioral experiments designed to cause distress, e.g., electric shock or forced swimming
- Other manipulations to create “animal models” of human diseases ranging from cancer to stroke to depression
- Killing by carbon dioxide asphyxiation, neck-breaking, decapitation, or other means
Oh, I understand. But isn’t it better to have products tested on animals rather than us?
No. If you look at the above paragraph, you’ll see it points out that if a chemical doesn’t harm an animal, it in no way guarantees that it won’t harm a human. The same goes for if it DOES cause pain and harm to that animal, it doesn’t mean at all that it will hurt a human too. There are lots of modern alternative methods, but still, huge multi-product manufacturers continue to pump millions of dollars into the industry.
What are the alternatives, then?
- In Vitro Testing - A variety of cell-based tests and tissue models can be used to assess the safety of drugs, chemicals, cosmetics, and consumer products. This means that human skin cell cultures (or something similar) can be artificially developed in a lab and then tested on. Much more applicable to humans and far safer. L’Oreal is a driving company behind this practice.
- Computer Modeling - Researchers have developed a range of computer models that can simulate human biology and the progression of developing diseases. These models can accurately predict the ways that new drugs will react in the human body.
- Research with Human Volunteers - Microdosing can provide vital information on the safety of an experimental drug and how it is metabolized in humans. Volunteers are given an extremely small one-time drug dose, and imaging techniques are used to monitor how the drug behaves in the body.
So, instead of measuring how long it takes a chemical to burn away the cornea of a rabbit’s eye, manufacturers can now drop that chemical onto cornea-like 3-D tissue structures produced from human cells.
That sounds much more sensible! What companies should I avoid?
Go to this link to search companies who do and don’t test on animals.
But, just for a quick guide on your makeup, I’ve made a small list of popular companies that you CAN buy from:
- Mac (but parent company Estee Lauder do – so if you buy Mac, you are funding the animal testing industry)
- Urban Decay
- Napoleon Perdis
- L’Oreal and any of its stem companies
- Nude by Nature
This is something I’m really passionate about. I now only ever buy cruelty-free, and try to avoid getting meat from meat-factories which keep their animals in small cages and force-feed them. Instead, we buy meat from local free-range butchers, which is much nicer for the animals. I’m still considering going vegetarian or maybe even vegan, because the way in which a lot of our food is farmed is cruel and ridiculous. If you managed to read all of this, congratulations. Thank you xoox
Share this post:
a poem, i guess. existential crisis i guess.
photo found at this amazing blog
Love you all,
Share this post:
A few ways to re-capture your creative spirit these holidays
As most of Australians are on holidays at the moment, I thought I would make this post as inspiration not only for you, but for me.
I feel like the internet is slowly creating mindless zombies out of us, while at the same time promoting creativity. There is a certain irony about me creating this post on the website that has wasted so many hours of my life.
Being creative comes with having a free and open mind and enjoying life. When you are content with yourself and your world, your mind starts to expand and explore new ideas.
Right this very second, I would like you to look out of the window and find 5 things to admire about the world outside. For me right now, it is the light refracturing off of the window panes and creating rainbows in midair, the gentle movement of the leaves in the many trees, the light dancing off of each leaf as it sways, the creaking movement of my old swing set and the shadows bouncing off the house next door.
Try doing this wherever you are. Stop and appreciate all the tiny beautiful things about life. You can do the same with people. Don’t look at their attractiveness, but watch their eyes sparkle as they dart backwards and forth, the movement of their hair, lips opening and closing in sync, etc etc. Find beauty, not ugliness.
Talk to your family more. Get out of your room and actually interact. Ask them to play a boardgame with you, start a discussion about their day, go for a walk after dinner. Make an effort.
Go for walks, write in notebooks, doodle absentmindedly, get off the internet, read, create memories, create art. Do something you are proud of and have a good holiday!
Share this post:
Storms don’t last forever
There’s something calming
About seeing the light fade slowly as
Clouds roll in
The air gets thicker
You feel the coming thunder in the wind
But you know the sun will come back
There’s something magical about that
Share this post:
On the outside, they look tough and daunting but on the inside, they have a large soft spot for animals. They are the Biker gang ‘Rescue Ink’. Now, you may think this gang is just like every other but that is far from the truth! Rescue Ink is a New York based non-profit animal welfare organisation that travel around the States breaking up dogfighting rings, confronting animal abusers, working to find abandoned and neglected animals loving homes as well as investigating stolen animals.
These tattooed bikers work together with a group of volunteers including local police, private investigators and lawyers. The organisation has zero tolerance for animal abuse and aren’t afraid to get their message across in anyway they can. In their mission statement, they stress their ‘in your face’ approach to animals rights activism: “If we need to convince people to do the right thing … we can be very convincing.”
The Rescue Ink team currently has 6 bikers and is continuing to grow. Each member has a different focus and brings something different to the team.
- Joe Panz, one of the two founding members, was the tough guy you knew growing up but when he was shot in the chest and back, he found his Rottweiler BlackJack to be the only one he could turn to. In that moment, he made a decision to turn his life around.
- Big Ant, the second founding member, is committed to the belief that animal rescue has the power to truly touch lives, and not just those of the animals.
- Al “Alley Cat” Chernoff has devoted his life to saving countless ferals, strays and homeless animals. Having lost both of his parents at a young age, Al’s 8 cats and foster kitty are his family and the focus of his time when he is not out on animal rescue/welfare cases.
- Big Mike has always stood up for people and animals against bullies. A kidney transplant made him understand the importance of second chances - and gave him a mission: to be the voice for those who cannot help themselves.
- Jimmy The Bull, formerly a world record holder for bench pressing over 1000 pounds, this “bull” is with Rescue Ink to help “educate” abusers on how to treat animals with the respect they deserve.
- Toby Franks helps all animals in need, but his main focus is feral cats. Toby has been doing TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) for a decade and has spayed or neutered, vaccinated and returned over 500 feral cats from neighborhoods, back alleys & vacant lots. He also works with caregivers to make sure that the cats have food, water and protection.
If you wish to donate to Rescue Ink, you can via their website (http://www.rescueink.org/donate.html).
"Sometimes the road to redemption isn’t always a peaceful one"
- Nat xx
Share this post: